Friday, June 24, 2011

Reflection week 8

Reflective Essay

This course has shown me ways to reach and engage all of my students. Initially, I would feel frustrated when I could not reach them, and I would try different strategies to ensure learning took place. I have found that when I knew their preferences and readiness levels, I was better able to reach and engage them. This course has reinforced what I have been unwittingly doing in some areas to address the diversity in my classrooms, and my firm belief that technology has an important role to play in student learning. Learning about UDL (Universal
Design for Learning) and DI (Differentiated Instruction), has given me more insight into addressing the different needs of students so that they can become successful learners.

One of the things that I found that was most interesting is the role of technology in student learning, which ties into the UDL and DI approaches. Technology engages students and personalizes learning, while bridging the gap between the teacher and students (Laureate Education, Inc. 2009). It also prepares students for the global market place, which is technologically-driven, through easy access, broader variety of learning tools that appeal to the various learning styles, intelligences, and preferences, while bringing the world into the classroom (Laureate Education, Inc. 2009). According to Smith and Throne, it essentially makes
learning fun, with a variety of visual and audio aides, which helps the struggling learner (Laureate Education, Inc. 2009). With this in mind, I would be adjusting my instruction to include more technology using Web 2.0, and other digital tools so that more students can be engaged in meaningful ways.

I would also need to adjust my curriculum design and instructional strategies to include the UDL framework and DI approach. UDL provides a framework where all students have alternatives to become successful learners, by giving ¨a blueprint for creating instructional goals, methods, materials, and assessments that work for everyone¨ (Center for Applied Special Technology, 2009). It is based on scientific research which examines how the brain functions in relation to learning. Learning involves three networks in the brain: recognition, strategic, and affective. The recognition network recognizes patterns and symbols; the strategic network
coordinates the performance of skills and actions; and the affective network discriminates important stimuli, and provides the motivation for learning (Meyer & Rose, 2001). Therefore, to address this understanding of learning and brain function, the curriculum would have to become more flexible (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009). Again, technology provides the flexibility that is needed for UDL, because there are choices in digital tools, content, and resources.

With the new approach to curriculum design, I would need to use DI which customizes instruction to suit the learner´s needs (Laureate Education, In. 2009). This is an essential approach because it influences the way I teach based on the students´ readiness levels, interests,and learning profiles. When this is combined with technology, it provides the flexibility, personalization, and dynamism which can address student diversity, particularly struggling learners (Laureate Education, Inc. 2009). Using DI requires a change in mindset, from the traditional teacher-centered approach to learning, to a student-centered approach. I talk less, provide more options for students to choose from, they collaborate, and problem solve about the
particular task. In fact, they can teach me a thing or two about using technology, and about the content material. This can be intimidating for some teachers, but if we are serious about creating successful learners and making a difference in our students´ lives, I believe it can be done successfully.

Generally, this course has provided me with more insight into ways in which I can meaningfully engage my students. As a student in this class, I have discovered my strengths and weaknesses in the tasks that were required to be completed each week. For example, I was stronger in some areas using technology than in others. I participated more in areas that I was comfortable with and liked. It is the same with my students, so I am more appreciative now of how they learn.

References
Center for Applied Special Technology (2009). UDL Guidelines, version 1.0. Retrieved from http://www..udicenter.org/aboutudl/udlguidelines

Laureate Education Inc. (Producer). (2009). Program: Introduction to DI [DVD]. Reaching and engaging all learners through technology. Baltimore, MD:Author.

Laureate Education Inc. (Producer). (2009). Program 1: Reaching and engaging all learners through technology [DVD]. Reaching and engaging all learners through technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.

No comments:

Post a Comment